We source our kids' t-shirts from a partner that has a proven track record and that we trust. The factory where the t-shirts are made is called Sunflag and is in Tanzania. We are excited about visiting the factory in the not too distant future and meeting the workers including Stamili Zuberi (above). From all accounts it is remarkable factory and is providing crucial employment in Arusha, Tanzania:
- They provide a highly subsidised nutritious daily meal to the workers at a cost of just $0.13
- Long-serving employees receive free housing or a housing allowance
- There is an on-site health clinic offering medical attention and free basic medication
- Workers going on annual leave receive a travel allowance
- Partnerships are formed with local NGOs to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS and support for workers who are infected
- A number of environmental initiatives include saving energy by collecting condensed water; 200,000 litres of it a day
It is of course also independently audited, however we are always on the look out for suppliers who go beyond ticking boxes and have fairness at the core of their DNA. Sunflag is one such company.
All our kids t-shirts are made from 100% organic lightweight cotton (120gsm compared to our adult t-shirts which are 180gsm). The cotton is grown locally to the factory and crucially for traceability is certified. The certifying body is GOTS (Global Organic Textiles Standard) which has both social and environmental criteria. You can learn more about their criteria here.